Thursday, June 30, 2011

Brink



Brink is exactly what the name says - on the brink of being a great game. A good game, shows a lot of potential, not quite reaching fantastic.

This time I'm not going to write about the game, I agree with Peter Eykemans at IGN:



I went to find about Brink because my Steam buddies were playing it, and comments like this:
"one shining aspect is SMART (Smooth Movement Across Random Terrain). Using SMART, holding a single button lets you navigate up walls, over obstacles, and through the game world. Depending on your body size, you can do more or less with movement, but overall this finesse is fantastic. Nothing in Brink feels quite as good as sliding under gunfire into someone, taking them out with a shotgun."
made it sound interesting.

Some other reviews complained that NPCs were poorly programmed, either weak (no challenge) or overpowered or without a good backstory of their own. The strength imbalance things must have been fixed before I got the game, but the lack of individual stories for characters remained. I'd also been warned about lag - but that also seemed to have been resolved before I tried it out.

I would have liked more rewards to earn, and challenges specific to weapons to unlock attachments for those weapons.

The story was very novel for me - my brief synopses interested my mum, and we would like to have seen the story go further. In Red Dead Redemption they revealed the story slowly, enticingly, while you played; but in Brink they threw most of it at you in the lead-in trailer. There were interesting story developments from the different campaigns but I want to find out where the story can go.

I had 24 hours of game play before getting bored.

If there is to be a 'next', for me to play it, it needs to go "beyond the brink": A story off the Ark; another playing mode like 'capture the flag' or team death match - something to mix it up a little bit; perhaps some more interesting and more even weapons.

No comments: